JOHANNESBURG - Old alliances between North Korea and several African nations forged at the height of the Cold War will not be swept away easily.
While threats from the United States and UN sanctions have forced many governments on the continent to keep their distance from Pyongyang, the links are not yet confined to the past.
For watchers of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un's regime, the country's presence on the African continent is unmissable and the hermit nation continues to benefit from discrete but vital relations.
Statues and Stalinist-style palaces of questionable aesthetic
1. Joseph Areruya - Dimension Data for Qhubeka 20:21:29
2. Metkel Eyob - Dimension Data for Qhubeka 0:28
3. Suleiman Kangangi - Bike Aid 1:29
4. Jean Bosco Nsengimana - Team Rwanda 2:10
5. Patrick Byukusenge - Team Rwanda 3:08
6. Valens Ndayisenga - Tirol Cycling Team 3:19
7. Matthieu Jeannes -Team Haute Savoie
It's fair to say things were not supposed to go this way at the Venice Marathon.
It would've been little surprise if Kenya's Gilbert Kipleting Chumba had won the race Sunday — or maybe it could have been his countryman David Kiprono Metto. And in fact, both of those favorites were
New York Times News Service,
November 4, 2017
Before the most decorated American marathoner can race, before he pounds out 26.2 miles across the five boroughs of New York City, burning thousands of calories and bloodying his feet, he needs one thing in particular.
He needs his himbasha.
The marathoner, Meb Keflezighi, earned